Trucking Companies (Transporting)

From ConsumerWiki
Revision as of 21:57, 4 October 2019 by CIATORK (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

736-Public Utilities Commission


The Bureau of Household Goods and Services has jurisdiction for residential movers operating within California.

The California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) has jurisdiction for passenger carrier services operating within the state of California. Trucking companies that transport freight within California are under the jurisdiction of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Trucking companies whose vehicles cross state lines are under the jurisdiction of the Federal Highway Administration.


Bureau of Household Goods and Services

Household Movers

4244 South Market Court, Suite D

Sacramento, CA 95834-1243

Phone: (916) 999-2041

Fax: (916) 921-7279



The CPUC regulates passenger carriers, including charter-party carriers (such as a charter bus or limo), passenger stage corporations (such as an airport shuttle), vessel common carriers (such as a ferry), and transportation network companies (rideshare companies like Uber).

San Francisco Office (Headquarters)

505 Van Ness Avenue

San Francisco, CA 94102

(415) 703-2782

800-848-5580 Toll-Free

415-703-1758 Fax

Los Angeles Office

320 West 4th Street, Ste. 500

Los Angeles, CA 90013

(213) 576-7000

(213) 576-7007 Fax

(800) 848-5580 (Toll Free)

San Diego Office

1350 Front Street

State Building, Room 4000

San Diego, CA 92101

(619) 525-4217

Trucking companies that transport freight only are under the jurisdiction of DMV. Consumer complaints may be filed with this office:

Department of Motor Vehicles

Registration Operations Division


PO Box 932370-MS.G875

Sacramento, CA 94232-3700

(916) 657-8153

Trucking safety issues should be referred to the California Highway Patrol's Commercial Vehicle Section.

California Highway Patrol

Commercial Vehicle Section

P.O. Box 942898

Sacramento, CA 94298-0001

(916) 843-3400


The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has jurisdiction for licensing and safety issues for trucking companies operating throughout the 48 states. Trucks must first be assigned an "authority number" by the Federal Highway Administration, and if permanently based in California, must be assigned another "authority number" by the California Public Utilities Commission. Consumer complaints may be registered with this office.

US Department of Transportation

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Household Goods/Driver Complaints

1200 New Jersey Avenue SE

Washington, DC 20590

(888) 368-7238 Consumer Complaints

(800) 877-8339 Federal Relay Service for TTY

(800) 832-5660 FMCSA Information Line

(888) DOT-SAFE

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration field office

1325 J Street, Suite 1540

Sacramento, CA 95814-2941

(916) 930-2760

(916) 930-2778 Fax