Difference between revisions of "Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists, Board for"

From ConsumerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
<p>[[File:Whitebox.jpg|658-Engineers-Land Surveyors/Geologists|link=_Hint]]</p>
{| align="center" border = 0
{| align="center" border = 0

Revision as of 16:42, 22 March 2011

658-Engineers-Land Surveyors/Geologists


go back

The California Department of Consumer Affairs, Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists, has responsibility for exams and licensing for civil, electrical, and mechanical engineers and land surveyors. The board oversees the practice of these professions as mandated by state law.

The board regulates the use of the professional titles "professional engineer," "registered engineer," and "consulting engineer," and the branch titles:

Agricultural engineer, control system engineer, fire protection engineer, land surveyor, mechanical engineer, petroleum engineer, structural engineer, chemical engineer, corrosion engineer, geotechnical engineer, manufacturing engineering, metallurgical engineer, quality engineer, traffic engineer, civil engineer, electrical engineer, industrial engineer, nuclear engineer, and safety engineer

The board is charged with protecting the welfare and safety of the public. It is the regulating body that sets standards for engineering products that may affect the public and ensures that professional engineers are qualified to practice. Professional engineers apply their education and skills to design buildings, bridges, dams, roads, communication systems, electrical power distribution systems, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, and many other products and systems. Professional land surveyors determine property lines, perform lot splits, and prepare subdivision maps and official maps.


The board protects the title held by the engineer by licensure, but the practice of engineering is not regulated (i.e. their business practice to their business); however, the Enforcement Unit receives and pursues consumer complaints. The Technical Advisory Committee investigates complaints and acts as a mediator with the engineer and complainant(s). Unresolved disputes are forwarded to the Office of the Attorney General when the engineer is licensed, but complaints about an unlicensed engineer are forwarded to the District Attorney's office.

Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 300
Sacramento, CA 95833-2944
(866) 780-5370
(916) 263-2222
(916) 263-2246 Fax

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page