Mobile Homes

From ConsumerWiki
Revision as of 17:55, 23 March 2016 by CICRNunez (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

735-Other State Agencies


go back

Effective January 1, 1999 a legislative change took effect repealing the Department of Housing and Community Development's authority to review and approve plans, conducts inspections, and issue insignia of approval for recreational vehicles. A recreational vehicle includes a park trailer, truck camper, travel trailer, fifth wheel trailer, and motor home. A recreational vehicle is not a manufactured home, a mobile home, commercial coach, or special purpose commercial coach. There is more information about mobile home laws at the end of this entry.

The Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) enforces Federal safety standards and conduct manufacturer on-site inspections to ensure compliance of those standards.

1896 Preston White Drive
PO BOX 2999
Reston, VA 20195-0999
(800) 336-0154 Association members only
(703) 620-6003 Consumer inquries and publications
(703) 620-5071 Fax

The Department of Housing and Community Development will help resolve complaints with manufactured home installation, warranties, financing, and also with Health and safety issues at a Mobile Home Park.

Department of Housing and Community Development
Office of the Mobile Home Ombudsman
(916) 323-9801 Mobile Home Ombudsman
(800) 952-5275 Complaints against dealer)

Registration and Titling:
P.O. Box 2111
Sacramento, CA 95812-2111
(800) 952-8356

If mobile home was purchased from a real estate broker and there is a violation of the Business and Professions Code, consumers should contac the Bureau of Real Estate.

Bureau of Real Estate
1651 Exposition Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95818
1(877) 373-4542

The Department of Consumer Affairs, Contractor's State License Board CSLB will take complaints about mobile home installation and repairs performed by a contractor.

9821 Business Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95815
(800) 321-2752

For complaints on work performed in Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego counties, send complaint forms to:

Norwalk Intake & Mediation Center
12501 East Imperial Highway, Suite 620
Norwalk, CA 90650 (562) 466-6064 Fax

For complaints on work performed in any California county not mentioned above, send complaint forms to:

Sacramento Intake & Mediation Center
P.O. Box 269116
Sacramento, CA 95826-9116
(916) 255-4449 Fax

Consumers should contact the Board of Equalization BOE) for questions on taxation or assessment as real property on public or private property. BOE also provides Property Law Information on real or personal property.

Board of Equalization MIC:64
Assessments Policy and Standards Division
450 N Street, 21st Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-4982
(916) 323-8765 Fax

Rental Problems:

The Golden State Manufactured-Home Owner's League, Inc. is a Non-Profit Association that provides its members with assistance regarding mobile home questions. They will also assist non-members.

Golden State Manufactured-Home Owner's League, Inc.
6101 Ball Road Suite 202
Cypress, CA. 90630
(714) 826-4071
(800) 888-1727

For complaints about hookup, septic tank or water pressure, consumers should call thier Local city or county building inspection department

For Mobile home insulation or formaldehyde problems:

US Consumer Product Safety Commission
(800) 638-2772

California civil code pertinent to consumers regarding mobile homes:

Mobile home Residency Law: (Civil Code Section 798.56)

Revises provision of existing law prohibiting cure of default on basis of nonpayment of rent, utility charges, or incidental service charges, as specified, more than twice during the term of tenancy, to instead prohibit the cure of such default more than twice during a 12 month period.

Mobile home Sales: (Unlawful Occupant (Civil Code Section 798.75)

Provides that if a mobile home occupant, having no right of tenancy, refuses to surrender the park site within 5 days after demand, he or she will be considered an unlawful occupant and subject to summary proceedings. The occupant will not be considered an unlawful occupant if:

  • The occupant is the registered owner of the mobile home.
  • The management has determined that the occupant has the financial ability to pay the rent and charges of the park and will comply with the rules and regulations of the park and this statute.
  • The management has failed or refused to offer the occupant a rental agreement.

Mobile home Tenant: (Three Day Eviction) (Civil Code Section 798.56

Precludes the commencement of eviction proceedings against a mobile home tenant until the payment of rent or other charges is at least 5-days late and a 3-day notice to pay or quit has been given to the tenant after the 5-day period has elapsed. The code also provides that if a homeowner has been given a 3-day notice to pay or quit on 3 or more occasions within the preceding 12-month period, a subsequent nonpayment would be grounds for eviction and no additional 3-day notice to pay or quit would be required.

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page