Difference between revisions of "Marriage (Who Can Perform the Ceremony)"

From ConsumerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
<p>[[File:Whitebox.jpg|851-Local City/County Agencies|link=_Hint]]</p>
{| align="center" border = 0
{| align="center" border = 0

Revision as of 17:49, 14 March 2011

851-Local City/County Agencies


go back

A marriage may be performed by a judge (or retired judge), commissioner of civil marriages (or retired commissioner of civil marriages), commissioner (or retired commissioner), assistant commissioner of a court of record, or justice of the peace in this state, any judge or magistrate of the United States, or by any priest, minister, rabbi of any religious denomination who is 18 years of age or over. A judge or magistrate who has resigned may also perform marriage ceremonies.

The County Clerk of any county is designated as a commissioner of civil marriages. The commissioner of civil marriages may appoint a deputy commissioner of civil marriages who may perform marriages under the direction of the commissioner of civil marriages (California Family Code, Section 400-402).

A private citizen may perform a wedding ceremony, however, you must contact the County Clerk of the county in which the ceremony is to be performed for specific information. Consumers should consult the Government listings of their White Pages to find contact information for county government offices.

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page