ITT Technical Institute Closure

From ConsumerWiki
Revision as of 19:10, 27 October 2016 by CICRNunez (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

735-Other State Agencies

ITT Technical Institute Closure

go back

1. When a school closes the first thing the student should:
• Obtain Academic and Financial records. If the student did not receive a transcript, visit
• Obtain Student Financial Report. To access Federal Financial Aid history, visit
• Obtain Proof of Training documents (for cosmetology/barbering students)
• Obtain copies of ALL paperwork the school is providing you or asking you to sign. (Carefully review all paperwork before signing)

2. What are the students options now that the school closed:
• Transfer to another school. Resources such as College Navigator
( can help find a school that fits the career goals.
• If the student filed a FAFSA (Federal Financial Aid) for the 2016/17 award year identifying ITT Technical Institute as the institution attending and need the information forward to another institute, visit

3. If the student decide to continue his/her education at a different institution there are two way this can be done:
• Teach-Out – Means another school allows you to complete a similar or identical program of study for which you may not incur additional costs.
• Transfer- Means you may be able to use the academic credits or “clock” hours you have earned at the closed school towards the completion of a similar or different program of study at another school. You may incur additional costs and you will need to contact the school you wish to transfer first.

4. If the student is unable to complete his/her education due to the school closure:
• The student may be eligible for a discharge of his/her federal loan. Loan discharges are not automatic with the school closure. The student must send an application for loan discharge to the holder of the loan.
• Loan discharge application and other important information is located at

5. ALL Federal government loan questions should be directed to the United States Department of Education at 800- 4FED-AID (433-3243)

6. For non-federal loans, contact the holder of the loan(s) to inquire what relief may be available.

7. The Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) exist to relieve or mitigate economic losses suffered by a student in an educational program at a qualifying institution. If a student has exhausted all other possible ways to recover lost tuition he/she may file a STRF claim application at .
• The student should review the eligibility requirement first.
• The student have 4 years to submit the STRF application in the case of ITT closure.

8. STRF claims are reviewed in the order they are received. If approved the student will receive a letter of confirmation stating the amount of the claim to be paid. Payment is typically received within 60 days of the date of the letter.
• Further questions about his/her STRF claim the student can email or call 1-888-370-7589 and select option 5 when prompted.

9. Students can visit the following website for addition information on repayment discharge of a Federal loan:

10. Students looking for his/her Federal Student Loan Servicers. Here’s the list of all Federal Loan Services:
• CornerStone- Phone number: 1-800-663-1662
• MOELA- Phone number: 1-888-866-4352
• ESA/Edfinancial – Phone number: 1-855-337-6884
• Navient- Phone number: 1-800-722-1300
• FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA)- Phone number: 1-800-699-2908
• Granite State (GSMR)- phone number: 1-888-556-0022
• Great Lakes Education Loan Services, Inc. – Phone number: 1-800-236-4300
• Neinet- Phone number: 1-888-486-4722
• OSLA Servicing – phone number: 1-866-264-9762
• VSAC Federal Loan- Phone number:1-888-932-5626

If you need further assistance please refer to or call BPPE at 1-888-370-7589 (toll free) or 916-431-6959.

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page