From ConsumerWiki
Revision as of 15:19, 16 September 2019 by CIATORK (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

735-Other State Agencies


The title of "consultant" can be misleading, but it generally indicates the person being consulted is an expert or professional in a particular field who offers advice. Consultants may act in the interest of private business, state business, or advise consumers in the private sector. Consultants may or may not be licensed; however, licensure will be required if there is agency jurisdiction. The determining factor is the extent of their advice and the consultant's area of expertise.

It is the consumer's responsibility to verify the credentials (education, technical training, or expertise) of a consultant before accepting such advice.

Consultants in the following categories may or may not be licensed and may or may not charge a fee. Again, the consumer must evaluate the extent of advice because the need for a license may exist (based on some agency requirement) or it may not.

Palm reader or spiritualist: Unlicensed

Fashion consultant (Nordstrom's): Unlicensed

Interior decorating consultant: Unlicensed

Skin care consultant (Mary Kay): Unlicensed if just selling products

Esthetician (skin care--waxing, chemicals): Licensed Board of Barbering and Cosmetology]

Diet consultant (Jenny Craig): Unlicensed

Diet consultant (health evaluation): Licensed, Registered Nurse Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)]

Headhunter (business field): Unlicensed or licensed

Employment consulting services: Bonded (see entry for Bonds and filing)

Investment consultant or Advisor: Licensed California Secretary of State

Financial planner: if the client funds under management are $25 million or less; the United States Securities and Exchange Commission registers all other investment advisors)

Tax consultant: Licensed by Board of Accountancy or the Internal Revenue Service

Wine Consultant: Unlicensed