Coin Dealers/Collectors

From ConsumerWiki
Revision as of 17:57, 21 June 2010 by Cicjscribner (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search


go back

To become a coin dealer, an individual must obtain a seller's permit from the California State Board of Equalization per Business and Professions Code Section 17511 et seq., effective January 1, 1986. Coin dealers must also have a city or county business license. Complaints or problems may require civil resolution.

Individuals who merely collect coins or invest for themselves do not require any registration.

To research performance of coin dealers:

American Numismatic Association
818 North Cascade Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3279
(719) 632-2646
(800) 367-9723 - General Information
(800) 514-2646 - Membership

The Board of Equalization (BOE) requires a seller's permit if a coin dealer is selling coins, silver or gold bullion:

450 N Street
PO BOX 942879 (mailing address)
Sacramento, CA 94279-0001
(800) 400-7115

The Federal Trade Commission regulates misleading, deceptive, and unfair business practices:

Federal Trade Commission
10877 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90024
(877) 382-4357

If investment offers are made by telemarketer over phone for fraudulent purposes, consumers should contact the Office of the Attorney General:

California Department of Justice
Office of the Attorney General
1300 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(800) 952-5225 (CA Callers)
(916) 322-3360 (Out of State)
(916) 323-5341 (Fax)
(711) or (800) 735-2929 Eng TTY/TDD
(800) 855-3000 Span
(800) 735-2922 Voice

There's no jurisdiction over stamps, coins, or gold and silver sales. The Commodity Futures Trading Commission Handles Complaints on Community Brokers:

Commodity Futures Trading Commission
Complaint Section
Three Lafayette Center
1155 21st Street N-W
Washington, DC 20581
(866) FON-CFTC (366-2382)
(202) 418-5000
(202) 418-5521 (Fax)
(202) 418-5514 (TTY)

If investment offers are made through the mail, or payment is made through the mail, for fraudulent purposes, consumers should contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service:

U.S. Postal Inspection Service
Inspection Service Support Group
222 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250
Chicago, IL 60606-6100
(800) 275-8777 (national number)

Criminal Investigations Service Center For Mail Fraud: (877) 876-2455

Publications available: Postal Inspector Crime Tip Sheet #22

See also: None

Other referrals: Better Business Bureau and Small Claims Court

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page