Bank Complaints/Information (State, Federal, National)

From ConsumerWiki
Revision as of 15:48, 17 October 2019 by Cinsuar (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

735 Other State Agencies



The Department of Business Oversight (DBO) regulates California state-chartered financial institutions. They encourage sound banking and business practices and perform financial examination of licensees.

Consumers are encouraged to submit complaints if they believe a DBO licensee has violated state law or acted improperly, or if they believe a company or person is conducting unlicensed activity that falls within the DBO's jurisdiction, regardless of whether the consumer is trying to resolve the dispute through another forum. The DBO relies on complaints to help protect consumers, borrowers and investors, and obtain redress for them when they're victimized by unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business practices.

Enforcement actions may include administrative orders to: stop violations of laws; deny, suspend or revoke licenses; take possession of licensees; suspend or bar individuals from participating in a regulated industry; and levy penalties. The DBO also can file civil actions to stop violations of the laws, appoint receivers over companies, and obtain restitution for consumers and penalties against violators.

If the bank is a California state-chartered bank, it is licensed by the California DBO and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). A California state-chartered bank may also be a member of the Federal Reserve Bank.

DBO licenses and regulates:

  • Banks (State chartered)
  • Broker-Dealers and Investment Advisers (Broker-Dealers, State Investment Advisers and SEC)
  • Business and Industrial Development Corporations (BIDCO)
  • California Deferred Deposit Originators (commonly known as “Payday Lenders”)
  • California Finance Lenders
  • California Residential Mortgage Lenders
  • Capital Access Companies
  • Check Sellers, Bill Payers and Proraters
  • Credit Unions (State Chartered)
  • Escrow Agents/ Escrow Law (including Online Escrow Companies)
  • Foreign (Other Nation) Banks
  • Foreign (Other State) Banks
  • Franchises (Franchise Investment Law)
  • Industrial Banks
  • Local Agency Security Program
  • Money Transmitters
  • Mortgage Loan Originators
  • Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Program Administrators
  • Premium Finance Companies
  • Responsible Small Dollar Loans (Pilot Program)
  • Securities (Corporate Securities Law of 1968)
  • Student Loan Servicers
  • Trust Companies and Departments

Department of Business Oversight

1515 K Street, Suite 200

Sacramento, CA 95814-6900

(916) 327-7585 Consumer Service

(866) 275-2677 Consumer Services

(916) 445-2123 Fax

The Controller's Office enforces California’s Unclaimed Property Law that requires banks, insurance companies, corporations, and certain other entities to report and submit their customers’ property when there has been no activity for a period of time (generally three years). Common types of unclaimed property are bank accounts, stocks, bonds, uncashed checks, insurance benefits, wages, and safe deposit box contents.

Controller's Office

PO Box 942850

Sacramento, CA 94250-5872

(916) 323-2827 (Outside of U.S.)

(800) 992-4647


The Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (FRS) handles consumer complaints about state-chartered banks and trust companies, which are members of the Federal Reserve System. The FRS is a centralized banking system under the Board with supervisory power over twelve Federal Reserve Banks designed to regulate banking and the economy by controlling the supply of money and credit. Written complaints and documentation should be mailed to Federal Reserve System Customer Relations Division.

Federal Reserve Consumer Help Center

20th and C Streets, NW, Stop 801

Washington, DC 20551

(202) 452-3000 Hotline

(888) 766-8533 Consumer Help Line

(202) 452-3544 TDD

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) provides insurance for accounts in banks and savings and loan associations. The FDIC handles questions about deposit insurance coverage and complaints about FDIC-insured state banks which are not members of the Federal Reserve System.

The FDIC Provides information on:

  • Financial reports of FDIC-insured institutions
  • Closing of institutions
  • Secured credit card offers
  • Automobile lien releases
  • Foreclosure information
  • Sales of loans
  • Compliance of civil rights in FDIC matters

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation FDIC

Consumer Response Center

1100 Walnut St., Box #11

Kansas City, MO 64106

(877) ASK-FDIC

San Francisco Regional Office

25 Jessie Street at Ecker Square, Suite 2300

San Francisco, CA 94105-2780

(415) 546-0160

(800) 756-3558

FDIC - Division of Compliance

550 17th Street NW

Washington, DC 20429

(800) 688-3342

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau supervises and handles complaints about federal savings and loan associations, savings banks and other financial products/services.

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Consumer Affairs

(855) 411-2372

(855) 729-2372


The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is an independent bureau of the U.S. Department of the Treasury that regulates and supervises all national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches and agencies of foreign banks. If the bank is a nationally chartered bank, its primary regulator is the Federal Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. A nationally chartered bank must also be a member of the Federal Reserve System and have deposit insurance through the FDIC.

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Customer Assistance Group

1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450

Houston, TX 77010

(800) 613-6743

(713) 336-4301 Fax

(800) 877-8339 TTY

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency regulates:

  • Bank of America National Association - (NA)
  • Wells Fargo Bank - (NA)
  • Bank of California - (NA)
  • First National Bank Union Bank of CA - (NA)

  Directory of State Agencies 
    Directory of State Agencies
  Directory of Federal Agencies
    Directory of Federal Agencies 
  Return to DCA Home Page
    Return to DCA Home Page