Difference between revisions of "Bank Complaints/Information (State, Federal, National)"

From ConsumerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
<p>[[File:Whitebox.jpg|735 Other State Agencies|link=_Hint]] </p>
{| align="center" border = 0
{| align="center" border = 0

Revision as of 00:09, 3 March 2011

735 Other State Agencies


go back


The Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) regulates California state-chartered financial institutions. They encourage sound banking and business practices and perform financial examination of licensees.

If the bank is a California state-chartered bank, it is licensed by the California DFI and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). A California state-chartered bank may also be a member of the Federal Reserve Bank.

DFI licenses and regulates:

  • state-chartered banks
  • state-chartered credit unions
  • state-chartered savings associations
  • state-chartered industrial banks
  • state-chartered offices of foreign banks
  • state-chartered trust companies
  • business and industrial development corporations
  • issuers of travelers checks and payment instruments (money orders)
  • Money Transmitters

Department of Financial Institutions
1810 13th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-6900
(916) 322-5966
(916) 445-2123 Fax

The Controller's Office takes inquiries on old or lost accounts, inquiries on unclaimed property, bank accounts that are removed from banks if inactive 3 years.

Controller's Office
PO Box 942850
Sacramento, CA 94250-5872
(916) 445-2636
(800) 992-4647


The Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (FRS) handles consumer complaints about state-chartered banks and trust companies, which are members of the Federal Reserve System. The FRS is a centralized banking system under the Board with supervisory power over twelve Federal Reserve Banks designed to regulate banking and the economy by controlling the supply of money and credit. Written complaints and documentation should be mailed to Federal Reserve System Customer Relations Division.

Federal Reserve Consumer Help Center
20th and C Streets, NW, Stop 801
Washington, DC 20551
(202) 452-3693
(202) 452-3544 TDD

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) provides insurance for accounts in banks and savings and loan associations. The FDIC handles questions about deposit insurance coverage and complaints about FDIC-insured state banks which are not members of the Federal Reserve System.

The FDIC Provides information on:

  • Financial reports of FDIC-insured institutions
  • Closing of institutions
  • Secured credit card offers
  • Automobile lien releases
  • Foreclosure information
  • Sales of loans
  • Compliance of civil rights in FDIC matters

Office of Consumer Affairs
25 Jessie Street @ Ecker Square, Suite 2300
San Francisco, CA 94105-2780
(415) 546-0160
(800) 756-3558

FDIC - Division of Compliance
550 17th Street NW
Washington, DC 20429
(800) 688-3342

The Office of Thrift Supervision Consumer Affairs Customer Relations supervises and handles complaints about federal savings and loan associations and savings banks.

Office of Thrift Supervision
Consumer Affairs, Customer Relations
1700 G Street NW
Washington, DC 20552
(202) 906-6000
(800) 842-6929


The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a federal agency that regulates national banks, credit card and mortgage companies that are subsidiaries of national banks. A national bank is a bank that has the words "National, National Association" or the initials "N.A.", in it's legal name.

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450
Houston, TX 77010
(800) 613-6743
(713) 336-4301 Fax

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency regulates:

  • Bank of America National Association - (NA)
  • Wells Fargo Bank - (NA)
  • Bank of California - (NA)
  • First National Bank Union Bank of CA - (NA)

If the bank is a nationally chartered bank, its primary regulator is the Federal Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. A nationally chartered bank must also be a member of the Federal Reserve System and have deposit insurance through the FDIC.

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page