Difference between revisions of "Automobile (Sales)"

From ConsumerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 38: Line 38:
(800) 424-9153 TTY
(800) 424-9153 TTY
  [[file:green_arrow.jpg|link=https://www.ca.gov/agencysearch/|Directory of State Agencies ]]
    Directory of State Agencies
  [[file:green_arrow.jpg|link=https://www.usa.gov/federal-agencies|Directory of Federal Agencies]]
    Directory of Federal Agencies
  [[file:green_dca.jpg|link=http://www.dca.ca.gov/|Return to DCA Home Page]]
    Return to DCA Home Page

Revision as of 22:58, 26 September 2019

735-Other State Agencies


The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has jurisdiction over any business selling vehicles and requires licensure of that business. They also have forms and information on buying a vehicle from or selling to a private party. A smog check may be needed. The DMV's Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability will protect consumers from liability when buying or selling a car.

DMV does not regulate sales between private parties. Disputes arising from private party sales are a civil matter.

Department of Motor Vehicles

(800) 777-0133


Investigations office locations

Safecar.gov, a web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, covers crash tests, five-star safety ratings, safety features, and recalls. The agency also maintains a toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline to receive complaints and provide information on vehicle safety recalls.


(888) 327-4236

(800) 424-9153 TTY