Automobile (Safety)

From ConsumerWiki
Revision as of 22:58, 26 September 2019 by CIATORK (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

814-Other Federal Agencies


The U.S. Department of Transportation established the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), so information on all vehicle safety related issues on cars, trucks, and motor vehicle equipment would be available to consumers. NHTSA accepts complaints on auto safety issues.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE

West Building

Washington, DC 20590

(888) 327-4236

The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) is a nonprofit organization which works to reduce accidents due to unsafe vehicles and promote reliability and quality. The Center will take complaints and will research and document any history of unreliability with an automobile and make that information available to consumers. In addition, CAS will refer a consumer to legal specialists for litigation if requested.

Center for Auto Safety (CAS)

1825 Connecticut Avenue, NW Suite 330

Washington, DC 20009

(202) 328-7700

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will review any complaint about car dealers selling unsafe used vehicles or used vehicles with defects. Any safety issue complaint related to brakes should be referred to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), but DMV is responsible for the following other areas: bumpers, exhaust, muffler, horns, lights, safety belts, tires, windshields, mirrors, or wipers. Complaints about new automobiles should be directed to the New Motor Vehicles Board.

DMV - Investigations Unit

California Highway Patrol

PO Box 942898

Sacramento, CA 95814

(800) 835-5247