Automobile (Pawn Shop)

From ConsumerWiki
Revision as of 22:57, 3 October 2019 by Cinsuar (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

735-Other State Agencies


If the person who pawned the vehicle is not able to repay the loan as stated on the payment schedule in the contract or does not pick up the pawned auto, the automobile pawnbroker can sell the vehicle.

Automobile pawnbrokers require the following licenses and permit:

  • Pawnbroker's license - California Department of Justice
  • Dealer's license - California Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Business license - Local City/County Business License Division
  • Seller's permit - California Board of Equalization

The California Department of Justice (DOJ) licenses pawnbrokers. Local law enforcement agencies will take complaints against pawnbrokers. Complaints must include a cover letter directed to second hand/pawnbroker unit.

Department of Justice

4949 Broadway

PO BOX 903387

Sacramento, CA 94203-3870

(916) 227-3688

(916) 227-3774 Fax

Contact the DMV for Occupational Licensing:

Department of Motor Vehicles

Occupational Licensing

8243 Demetre Avenue

Sacramento, CA 95828

(916) 229-3126

(916) 229-4728 Fax

Contact the California Board of Equalization (BOE) for sellers permit application instructions and information.

Board of Equalization

450 N Street

Sacramento, CA 95814

(800) 400-7115 (CA residents only)

(916) 324-2926 (Sacramento/out of state)

(916) 227-6600 (out of state)

(916) 322-2015 Fax

  Directory of State Agencies 
    Directory of State Agencies
  Directory of Federal Agencies
    Directory of Federal Agencies 
  Return to DCA Home Page
    Return to DCA Home Page