Difference between revisions of "Animals"

From ConsumerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with '<h4 align="center"><big>ANIMALS</big></h4> <p> Consumers should consult (Health and Safety Code §§ 122045 through 122220 (Lockyer-Polanco Pet Breeder Warranty) and (Lockyer-P…')
(No difference)

Revision as of 21:32, 7 June 2010


Consumers should consult (Health and Safety Code §§ 122045 through 122220 (Lockyer-Polanco Pet Breeder Warranty) and (Lockyer-Polanco-Farr Pet Protection Acts) for an explanation of warranty with purchase of animals.

Department of Agriculture-Western Region
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
2150 Centre Avenue
Building B, Mailstop 3W11
Fort Collins, CO 80526-8117
(970) 494-7478
(970) 494-7460 (fax)

Breeders: (Wholesale)

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) licenses breeders and inspects kennels. Breeders are not required to use DCA's pet disclosure form but are required to provide the same disclosures to pet stores purchasing their animals.

Groomers, Kennels, Pet Shops:

Consumers may contact the local Better Business Bureau for a record of complaints. Resolution may require civil action.

Dog Trainer:

No state license required. Training is usually apprenticeship with an experienced dog trainer. City or county business license is required. Maintaining a kennel requires a city or county license and a use permit (business must be compatible with neighborhood).

Exotic Animal Dealers:

Anyone importing, buying, selling or trading animals foreign to the United States (wild or domesticated) must be licensed by the USDA.

Wild Animal Dealers

(Fish and Game Code §§ 2116 to 2126, 2150 to 2156, and 2185 to 2192) (Health and Safety Code §§ 121775 through 121870)

Department of Fish and Game (DFG) publishes a list of animals that may not be imported or transported into the state. Release of wild animals is regulated by DFG. In addition, the Department of Health Services also regulates the importing of wild animals.


Primates/Monkeys See "Wild Animals Dealers"above.

Department of Public Health
General Information: (916) 558-1784

Guide Dogs:
(Business and Professions Code §§ 7200 through 7218)

The Board licenses and regulates schools and persons in California that train and supply guide dogs for the blind.

DCA - Board of Guide Dogs for the Blind
1625 N. Market Blvd. Suite S202
Sacramento, CA 95834
(916) 574-7825
(866) 512-9103

Service Dogs:

Questions involving the differences between "guide dogs" and "service dogs" should be referred to the Board of Guide Dogs for the Blind.

(916) 654-0462 (Office)
(916) 653-2215 (Fax)

Veterinarians/Veterinary Technicians:
(Business and Professions Code §§ 4825 through 4844)

The Veterinary Medical Board (VMB) provides protection for consumers and animals through proper licensing of veterinarians and registered veterinary technicians, and enforcement of the California Veterinary Medicine Practice Act.

DCA - Veterinary Medical Board
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 2250
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 263-2610
(916) 263-2621 (fax)

Animal Drugs: Food and Drug Administration, Center of Veterinary Medicine

Department of Health Services
Food and Drug Branch
(916) 558-1184

Feed and Fertilizer:
(Food and Agriculture Code §§ 15051 and 15071)
Department of Food and Agriculture
1220 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 654-0466 (recorded info)
(916) 654-0462 (office)
email: cdfapublicaffairs@cdfa.ca.gov

Endangered Species:

For wildlife protection charities listing contact:

BBB Wise Giving Alliance
4200 Wilson Blvd., Suite 800
Arlington, VA 22203
(703) 276-0100 (office)
(703) 525-8277 (fax)

Ferrets/Other Wildlife/Exotic Pets: (Ferrets are illegal in California)

Department of Fish and Game
1416 9th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-0411

Inter/Intra State Movement of Animals:

Department of Food and Agriculture/Animal Health
1220 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 654-0466 (recorded info)
(916) 654-0462 (office)
(916) 653-2215 (fax)

Export/Import International: (rabies shots must be current)

U.S. Department of Food and Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service


120-Day Quarantine Upon Arrival (Hawaii)

Hawaiian Animal Quarantine Station
99-951 Halewe Valley Road
Aiea, HI 96701
(808) 483-7151
(808) 483-7161 (fax)

Industries (State Vet):

Department of Food and Agriculture
Division of Animal Industry
1220 N Street, Room A-107
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 654-1447
(916) 653-2215 (fax)

UC Davis - Veterinary Genetics Laboratory
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 752-2211
(530) 752-3556 (fax)

Animal Identification: (microchip)

In 1987, microchip implantation was a new technology for identifying ownership of animals. Legal counsel determined that VMB would have jurisdiction over the process only if it was a "surgical operation". Based on the fact that a 12-gauge needle was required for implanting microchips, VMB concluded that the procedure was surgical and could be performed only by licensed veterinarians.

DCA - Veterinary Medical Board

Pet Insurance:

To obtain health and accident insurance for dogs and cats, make a complaint about, or want to operate a pet insurance business, contact the California Department of Insurance at (800) 927-4357 or contact a local veterinarian for referrals.

Department Publications: Pet Dealer Disclosure Form (dogs and/or cats)

Other References: Animals (Control/Care)

Other Referrals: Community Hazards and Nuisance Complaint Center, Fish and Game (California Department of), Food and Agriculture (California Department of)

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page