From ConsumerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

735-Other State Agencies


Most established record companies do not charge a songwriter a fee for recording or producing music prior to introducing the recording to the public. If a songwriter has hired a talent agent and problems arise with representation or contracts, the songwriter should contact the California Department of Industrial Relations, which licenses talent agents.

The creator of a song or piece of music can protect the ownership of their creation by applying for a copyright.

US Library of Congress

Copyrights Office

(800) 786-9199

Billboard publishes names and addresses of established music publishers, recording companies, distributors, publications annually such as the International Buyers Guide.

Billboard Magazine

5055 Wilshire Boulevard, 7th Floor

Los Angeles, CA 90036

(323) 525-2300

(800) 344-7119 (to order directories)

Consumers can find Songwriter's Market (published by Writer's Digest Books) available at most local or on-line book stores.

See Also: Patents/Trademarks/Copyrights (U.S.)