Membership Camping Contracts
Contract cancellation period:
- If the purchaser has inspected the campground, the purchaser has the right to cancel the contract prior to midnight of the third business day after the date of the transaction. [CC § 1812.303(a)]
- In the event a buyer enters into such a contract without visiting at least one of the operator's camping site facilities, the 3 business day period is extended to 10 business days. [CC § 1812.304(a)]
- Some campground membership contracts are for a limited amount of time, such as one year, thirty- six months or ten years, some are for life.
- If a membership contract is for a specified number of years, a consumer may not be able to terminate it until they have paid the full amount owed for the contract and the dues owed for the specified number of years.
- If the contract does not specify how many years or months the purchaser must continue the contract, and if the business continues to attempt to collect annual dues after the puchaser notified it of the wish to terminate the membership, consumers may wish to file a complaint with the Attorney General.
California Department of Justice
Office of the Attorney General
1300 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(800) 952-5225 (CA Callers)
(916) 322-3360 (Out of State)
(916) 323-5341 Fax
(800) 952-5548 (TDD in CA)
(916) 327-5564 (TDD Out of State)
Public Inquiry Unit
PO BOX 944255
Sacramento, CA 94244-2550