Loan Modifications

From ConsumerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Loan Modifications go back

Mortgage modification or "Loan Modifications" is a process where the terms of a mortgage are modified outside the original terms of the contract agreed to by the lender and borrower (i.e mortgagor and mortgagee). In general, any loan can be modified.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides support to a nationwide network of housing counseling agencies. These HUD-approved agencies provide tools to current and prospective homeowners and renters, so they can make responsible choices to address their housing needs. Find a local HUD-approved housing counseling agency at the following webpage:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410

(202) 708-1112

(800) FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636)

(202) 708-1455 TTY

Find the address of a HUD office near you

It is illegal for companies to charge an advance fee for loan modifications. The Department of Real Estate issued a Consumer alert asking for consumers to report any violations of banks and attorneys charging advance fees for loan modifications to any of the agencies listed below.

Department of Real Estate

1651 Exposition Blvd

Sacramento, CA 95815

(877) 373-4542

Department of Justice (DOJ)

Office of the Attorney General

Public Inquiry Unit

P.O. Box 944255

Sacramento, CA 94244-2550

(800) 952-5225 (CA Callers)

(916) 210-6276 (Out of State)

(916) 323-5341 Fax

(800) 952-5548 (TDD in CA)

(916) 327-5564 (TDD Out of State)

English TTY/TDD (800) 735-2929

Spanish TTY/TDD (800) 855-3000

Voice (800) 735-2922

California State Bar

180 Howard Street

San Francisco, CA 94105

(415) 538-2000

(800) 843-9053 (Complaint Hotline within CA)