From ConsumerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

735-Other State Agencies



Office of the Secretary and Chief of Staff to the Regents

1111 Franklin St.,12th floor

Oakland, CA 94607 Email


Office of the Chancellor

401 Golden Shore

Long Beach, CA 90802-4210



The California Community College's Board of Governors is the organizational umbrella for 106 community colleges in California.

California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office

1102 Q Street, 4th Floor

Sacramento, CA 95811-6548

(916) 445-8752

Complaints against community college facilities, (i.e. parking, campuses, discrimination) and faculty should be directed to the consumer's community college district. Consumer may contact this office for the telephone number and address of a specific college district.


The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing is a regulatory agency and reports directly to the Office of the Governor. It issues credentials to qualified candidates in the K-12 public schools in California and is responsible for approving teacher preparation programs in institutions of higher education throughout California.

Credentials (licenses) all public school educators (teachers, administrators, etc.) The Commission has the authority to suspend and revoke an educator's credentials. Takes complaints against teachers and administrators.

Commission on Teacher Credentialing

1900 Capitol Avenue

Sacramento, CA 95811

(916) 445-0184

(888) 921-2682

(916) 327-3166 Fax


Under the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, the California Department of Education provides educational guidance and leadership for California's public schools. Some of the department's responsibilities include providing financial and technical support to schools, districts, and county offices throughout the state. It delivers this support through allocation of state and federal moneys to local educational agencies and services in educational technology, financial and administrative management, program evaluation studies, and school facilities design and planning. It is responsible for administering adult education programs and provides leadership of alternative education programs, continuation education programs, and opportunity classes and oversees General Education Development (GED) testing.

Department of Education

1430 N Street

Sacramento, CA 95814

(916) 319-0800

(Public K-12 schools)

Jurisdictional authority includes bilingual education, special education programs, campus child development programs, career education, school climate, class size, curriculum and instructional materials. The department addresses discrimination issues, student discipline, fees charged to students, gifted and talented education (GATE) program, latchkey programs, lunch and breakfast programs, magnet schools, one-room schools, pregnant and lactating students, summer school program, truancy issues and year round education.


The California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education is the state agency that licenses and regulates private postsecondary degree-granting and vocational education schools in California. It is also a regulatory and consumer protection agency with responsibility for ensuring that consumers receive the education they contract for.

Complaint jurisdiction:

Private postsecondary institutions whose representation leads to an occupation or job title.

Complaint outside jurisdiction:

Public schools; private postsecondary institutions accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges; education that is purely advocational or recreational (i.e. dance schools, karate schools).

On October 11, 2009, Governor Schwarzenegger signed Assembly Bill (AB) 48 (Portantino, Chapter 310, Statutes of 2009). AB 48 is known as the Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 ("Act") and establishes the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education within the Department of Consumer Affairs. The Act became operative on January 1, 2010.

Beginning January 1, 2010, private postsecondary schools operating in California will be under the jurisdiction of the Bureau and subject to the requirements of the Act, unless they are exempt pursuant to sections 94874, 94874.1, or 94927.5 of the Act.

They will maintain standards for education quality, financial stability and recruitment; investigates consumer complaints; investigates violator schools (specific schools that lead to an occupational or job title); assists students when schools close; administers the Student Tuition Recovery Fund.

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400

Sacramento, CA 95833

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 980818

West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818

(916) 431-6959

(888) 370-7589

(916) 263-1897 Fax

Student Tuition Recovery Fund and Closed Schools Unit

(888) 370-7589

(916) 263-1896 Fax Email

The California Student Aid Commission, an independent board created by the Governor's Office, offers many financial aid programs for studying beyond high school.

Student Aid Commission

Customer Service Branch

P.O. Box 419026

Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9026

(888) CA GRANT (224-7268)

Schools and Financial Aid Administrators use only: (888) 294-0153

(916) 464-8002 Fax

Financial aid includes grants and fellowships that do not have to be repaid; has work programs that offer student employment and student loans that must be repaid. Programs include Cal Grants, graduate fellowships, and state work study programs. Non-state programs

Financial programs requiring no repayment:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Federal Work-Study

Low interest loans requiring repayment:

  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Stafford Loan and Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • Federal PLUS Loan

Collecting on Student Loans: The Student Aid Commission may hire collection agencies to collect from students who have not paid off their loans (defaulted on the loan). To talk with staff about a defaulted loan, call: (800) 367-1589


Private schools are not licensed, regulated, or accredited by the California Department of Education but are required to have a city or county business license. Schools may volunteer to be accredited which means the schools have met specific requirements for accreditation. If a consumer has a complaint against a private school, he/she must seek legal assistance through a private attorney.

The Western Association of Schools and Colleges is the largest accreditation association and is recognized by the California Department of Education.

Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Takes inquiries about whether a private, public, or parochial school is accredited with the association but does not license or regulate them.

(Public and Private) K-12, ROP, and Adult

533 Airport Boulevard, Suite 200

Burlingame, CA 94010

(650) 696-1060

(650) 696-1867 Fax

(Public and Private) Community and Junior College

10 Commercial Blvd, Suite 204

Novato, CA 94949

(415) 506-0234

(415) 506-0238 Fax

Instructors for private schools are not credentialed by the Department of Education nor the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

(Public and Private) Senior Colleges and Universities

985 Atlantic Ave, Suite 100

Alameda, CA 94501

(510) 748-9001

(510) 748-9797 Fax


The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces five federal statutes that prohibit discrimination in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance from the Department of Education. Discrimination on the basis of race, color, and national origin is prohibited by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; sex discrimination, including sexual harassment, is prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; discrimination on the basis of disability is prohibited by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; and age discrimination is prohibited by the Age Discrimination Act of 1975. The OCR has the authority to enforce the federal civil rights laws in programs and activities of state education agencies, elementary and secondary schools, colleges and universities, vocational schools, vocational rehabilitation agencies, libraries, and museums.

US Department of Education

Office for Civil Rights

90 7th Street Suite, 4-100

San Francisco, CA 94103-4102

(415) 437-8310

(415) 437-8329 Fax

Enforces the federal statutes that prohibit discrimination at all educational institutions (elementary and secondary schools, colleges and universities, vocational schools, vocational rehabilitation agencies, libraries and museums) Consumers may contact this office for more information about civil rights laws enforced by OCR, how to file a complaint, or how to obtain technical assistance.