Chemicals (Occupational/Toxic)

From ConsumerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

735-Other State Agencies


Hazardous and toxic materials are regulated by Chapter 6.5 of the Health and Safety Code. Responsibility for disposal or oversight cleanup of these materials are shared by the several agencies designated below:

The Department of Toxic Substances Control issues licenses and permits to operate storage sites, treatment, and disposal processes, and also licenses the transporters of toxic substances.

Department of Toxic Substances Control

1001 I Street

Sacramento, CA 95814-2828

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 806

Sacramento, CA 95812-0806

(916) 255-3618 out of state callers

(800) 728-6942

DTSC Office Addresses

Office of Public and Regulatory Assistance

(800) 728-6942

(916) 255-3618 out of state callers Email

The California Department of Environmental Management enforces law pertaining to 3,500 generators of hazardous waste. Inspects and provides educational opportunities when violations occur. Inspection and regulation of wastes include the following types of shops: auto body or repair, printing, photo, and dry cleaning. The county and state share responsibilities for regulation of army and air force bases.

California Department of Environmental Management

Environmental Health Division

10590 Armstrong Avenue, Suite B

Mather, CA 95655

(916) 875-8440

Hazard Material Division

10590 Armstrong Avenue, Suite A

Mather, CA 95655

(916) 875-8550 Email

Contact the Sacramento County Hazardous Waste Management HOTLINE: (916) 875-5656 to make complaints or report problems with hazardous waste

For issues related to compliance and complaints for workplace handling of materials or when is environmentally a safety or health issue for workplace, contact the California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Occupational Safety and Health (CAL-OSHA).


2424 Arden Way, Room 165

Sacramento, CA 95825

(916) 263-2800



1515 Clay Street, Suites 16-22A

Oakland, CA 94612

(510) 286-7000

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has jurisdiction over Dept. of Toxic Substances for California.


Public Information Center

75 Hawthorne

San Francisco, CA 94105

(415) 947-8000

(866) 372-9378 EPA-WEST toll free in AZ, CA, HI, NV