State of California California Department of Consumer Affairs

Mobile Home Laws

From Consumer Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Cicjscribner (Talk | contribs)
(Created page with '{| align="center" border = 0 ! |- | {| border = 0 cellpadding="20" cellspacing="0" |- | <h4 align="center"><big>MOBILE HOMES</big><br /></h4> | go back |- |} |- |} <p>Ef…')
Newer edit →

Revision as of 22:16, 23 July 2010


go back

Effective January 1, 1999 a legislative change took effect repealing the Department of Housing and Community Development's authority to review and approve plans, conduct inspections, and issue insignia of approval for recreational vehicles. A recreational vehicle includes a park trailer, truck camper, travel trailer, fifth wheel trailer, and motorhome. A recreational vehicle is not a manufactured home, a mobilehome, commercial coach, or special purpose commercial coach.

The Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA)enforces federal safety standards and conduct manufacturer on-site inspections to ensure compliance of those standards.<p> RVIA
1896 Preston White Drive
PO BOX 2999
Reston, VA 20195-0999
(800) 336-0154 (Association members only)
(703) 620-6003 (Consumer inquiries and publications)
(703) 620-5071 Fax
<p>The Department of Housing and Community Development Office of the Mobile Home Ombudsman elps resolve complaints with manufactured home installation, warranties, financing, and also with Health and safety issues at a Mobile Home Park.

Office of the Mobile Home Ombudsman
Sacramento, CA 95812-0031
(916) 323-9801 (Mobile Home Ombudsman)
(800) 952-5275 (complaints against dealers)

Registration and Titling
P.O. Box 2111
Sacramento, CA 95812-2111
(800) 952-8356

If mobile home was purchased from a real estate broker and there is a violation of the Business and Professions Code.

Department of Real Estate
2201 Broadway
Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 227-0864
(916) 227-0863 Fax

Department of Consumer Affairs Contractor's State License Board 9821 Business Park Drive Sacramento, CA 95827 (800) 321-2752

For complaints on work performed in Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego counties, send complaint forms to: Norwalk Intake & Mediation Center 12501 East Imperial Highway, Suite 620 Norwalk, CA 90650 (562) 466-6064 (fax)

For complaints on work performed in any California county not mentioned above, send complaint forms to: Sacramento Intake & Mediation Center P.O. Box 269116 Sacramento, CA 95826-9116 (916) 255-4449 (fax) Will take complaints about mobile home installation and repairs performed by a contractor. State of California Board of Equalization MIC:64 Assessments Policy and Standards Division 450 N Street, 21st Floor Sacramento, CA 95814 (916) 445-4982 (916) 323-8765 (fax) Hours of Operation: M-F 8am to 5pm For questions on taxation or assessment as real property on public or private property. Provide Property Law Information on real or personal property Golden State Manufactured-Home Owner's League, Inc. PO Box 876 Garden Grove, CA 92842 (714) 826-4071 (for name of local representative) (800) 888-1727 Hours of Operation: M-F 8am to 4pm Rental Problems: Non-Profit Association that provides its members with assistance regarding mobile home questions. Will assist non-members. Local city or county building inspection department For complaints about hookup, septic tank or water pressure for mobile home parks. United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (800) 638-2772 Mobile home insulation or formaldehyde problems.

California civil code pertinent to consumers regarding mobile homes:

Mobile home Residency Law (Civil Code Section 798.56) Revises provision of existing law prohibiting cure of default on basis of nonpayment of rent, utility charges, or incidental service charges, as specified, more than twice during the term of tenancy, to instead prohibit the cure of such default more than twice during a 12 month period.

Mobile home Sales (Unlawful Occupant (Civil Code Section 798.75) Provides that if a mobile home occupant, having no right of tenancy, refuses to surrender the park site within 5 days after demand, he or she will be considered an unlawful occupant and subject to summary proceedings. The occupant will not be considered an unlawful occupant if:

The occupant is the registered owner of the mobile home. The management has determined that the occupant has the financial ability to pay the rent and charges of the park and will comply with the rules and regulations of the park and this statute. The management has failed or refused to offer the occupant a rental agreement. Mobile home Tenant (Three Day Eviction) (Civil Code Section 798.56

Precludes the commencement of eviction proceedings against a mobile home tenant until the payment of rent or other charges is at least 5-days late and a 3-day notice to pay or quit has been given to the tenant after the 5-day period has elapsed. The code also provides that if a homeowner has been given a 3-day notice to pay or quit on 3 or more occasions within the preceding 12-month period, a subsequent nonpayment would be grounds for eviction and no additional 3-day notice to pay or quit would be required.

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page

Personal tools