State of California California Department of Consumer Affairs

Loan Modifications

From Consumer Wiki

Revision as of 16:43, 21 July 2011 by Cicjscribner (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search


Loan Modifications

go back

Mortgage modification or "Loan Modifications" is a process where the terms of a mortgage are modified outside the original terms of the contract agreed to by the lender and borrower (i.e mortgagor and mortgagee). In general, any loan can be modified.

The US Department of Housing and Development have created a website dedicated to inform consumers regarding Loan Modifications - Loan Modification, Frequently Asked Questions

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
(202) 708-1112
(800) FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636)
(202) 708-1455 TTY

Find the address of a HUD office near you

It is illegal for companies to charge an advance fee for loan modifications. The Department of Real Estate issued a Consumer alert asking for consumers to report any violations of banks and attorneys charging advance fees for loan modifications to any of the agencies listed below.

California Department of Real Estate
2201 Broadway
Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 227-0864
(916) 227-0864 Consumer Information
(916) 227-0931 Licensing Operations

Department of Justice (DOJ)
Office of the Attorney General
Public Inquiry Unit
P.O. Box 944255
Sacramento, CA 94244-2550
(800) 952-5225 (CA Callers)
(916) 322-3360 (Out of State)
(916) 323-5341 Fax

(800) 952-5548 (TDD in CA)
(916) 327-5564 (TDD Out of State)

English TTY/TDD (800) 735-2929
Spanish TTY/TDD (800) 855-3000
Voice (800) 735-2922

California State Bar
180 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 538-2000
(800) 843-9053 (Complaint Hotline within CA)

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page

Personal tools