State of California California Department of Consumer Affairs

Automobile (Pawn Shop)

From Consumer Wiki

Revision as of 16:23, 7 September 2010 by Cicjscribner (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search


go back

If the person who pawned the vehicle is not able to repay the loan as stated on the payment schedule in the contract or does not pick up the pawned auto, the automobile pawnbroker can sell the vehicle.

Automobile pawnbrokers require the following licenses and permit:

  • Pawnbroker's license - California Department of Justice
  • Dealer's license - California Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Business license - Local City/County Business License Division
  • Seller's permit - California Board of Equalization

The California Department of Justice (DOJ) licenses pawnbrokers. Local law enforcement agencies will take complaints against pawnbrokers. Complaints must include a cover letter directed to second hand/pawnbroker unit.

Department of Justice
4949 Broadway
PO BOX 903387
Sacramento, CA 94203-3870
(916) 227-3688
(916) 227-3774 Fax

Contact the DMV for Occupational Licensing:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Occupational Licensing
8243 Demetre Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95828
(916) 229-3126
(916) 229-4728 Fax

Contact the California Board of Equalization (BOE) for sellers permit application instructions and information.

Board of Equalization
450 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(800) 400-7115 (CA residents only)
(916) 324-2926 (Sacramento/out of state)
(916) 227-6600 (out of state)
(916) 322-2015 Fax

Consumer Resource & Referral Guide Consumer Resource & Referral Guide
Directory of State Agencies Directory of State Agencies
Directory of Federal Agencies Directory of Federal Agencies
Return to DCA Home Page Return to DCA Home Page

Personal tools