From Consumer Wiki
Companies hire skip tracers who, only to the extent of routinely and regularly engaging in the locating of debtors or the locating of personal property, access specific information data bases and are not required to have a license to do so.
Skip tracers can access the following data bases and not be required to have a private investigator's license:
- Department of Motor Vehicles driver license records
- Department of Motor Vehicles car registration records
- Voter registration records
- Birth, marriage, death certificates records
- Property records
- Court records
- Postal address information*
The most crucial information listed above is postal address information because it is not a matter of public record. However, whenever a person fills out a USPS FORM 3575, the individual is consenting to the release of this information to the public. The address change form is often sold direct mailing businesses, credit bureau companies, and businesses using mass mailing lists.