From Consumer Wiki
PRC Mission and Goals:
Privacy Rights Clearinghouse (PRC) is a nonprofit consumer organization with a two-part mission -- consumer information and consumer advocacy. It was established in 1992 and is based in San Diego, California. It is primarily grant-supported and serves individuals nationwide.
The PRC's goals are to:
- Raise consumers' awareness of how technology affects personal privacy.
- Empower consumers to take action to control their own personal information by providing practical tips on privacy protection.
- Respond to specific privacy-related complaints from consumers, intercede on their behalf, and, when appropriate, refer them to the proper organizations for further assistance.
- Document the nature of consumers' complaints and questions about privacy in reports, testimony, and speeches and make them available to policy makers, industry representatives, consumer advocates, and the media.
- Advocate for consumers' privacy rights in local, state, and federal public policy proceedings, including legislative testimony, regulatory agency hearings, task forces, and study commissions as well as conferences and workshops.
- A hotline for consumers to report privacy abuses and request information on ways to protect their privacy. Call (619) 298-3396 or contact us here.
- An extensive series of fact sheets on privacy issues, available in English and some in Spanish.
- A web site (www.privacyrights.org) that provides texts of all fact sheets, transcripts of PRC speeches and testimony, FAQ and index by topic, stories of consumers' experiences, and more.
- Assistance and interviews for journalists, providing background and comments for stories.
- A referral service for journalists and policymakers who are seeking victims of privacy abuses who have indicated a willingness to talk with the media and/or testify in legislative and regulatory agency hearings.
- A speakers service, in which PRC staff make presentations at conferences, employee training sessions, and civic and community group meetings.
Privacy Rights Clearinghouse
3100 - 5th Ave., Suite A
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 298-5681 Fax
Please call us at (619) 298-3396. Paul Stephens is our media contact for print and radio media. If you are looking to do an on camera interview, please ask for Beth Givens.